Thursday, July 10, 2014

Old fashion shampoo

I have always had the most horrible hair. I couldn't even finish a bottle of shampoo before my hair would start to reject it. By reject I mean breaking, frizzy, damaged, and. greasy looking. I mean the whole 9 yards. I tried everything from cheap shampoo to expensive. I tried anything that was for my "symptoms" I literally tried it all.
One day surfing the Internet I don't remember what I was looking for I came across this "no poo" method of washing hair.  The first one a came across was just washing your hair with hot water then washing it with cold and once you got out of the shower your brush it with a bore bristle brush. I tried that for a while. About three weeks and after that I couldn't take the nastiness in my hair. It warned that at first your hair will be greasy from getting rid of all the old chemicals and damage your shampooing had done to your hair. But I could just about put a Mohawk with no gel. It was getting bad. So I gave up and when back to the drawing board. (And jumped in the shower and use my husband shampoo)
I soon found another homemade shampoo and conditioner. The best part was I could find everything I needed in my kitchen cabinet. The shampoo was baking soda and the conditioner apple cider vinegar. What? Oh yeah!!! So I read more and more. I got a a little down when it once again told me that I would have to give my hair some time to adjust and it may be greasy. I almost gave up right then and there. Well thank God I didn't. For about four months I would take a little baking soda put it in my hand add a little water and massage that into my scalp and wash it out. Then I had a spray bottle that I took and sprayed the vinegar into the bottom of my hair all over.  Then I continue with my regular routine of bathing and shaving and wash the vinegar out right before I got out of the shower. Sometimes I blow dry my hair sometime I wouldn't just all depends.
I became very sad when I saw my hair starting to go back to its old habits. I loved this routine. My hair was soft and shinny and for the first 3 months healthy looking and just beautiful. I was only having to wash my hair every four days which is also a huge plus. About month four is when it started acting bad again. Which it was also starting to become summer. It was pretty and soft for about 2 days and after that it was frizzy and untamable. I kept going anyway. I started cutting my own hair so I did cut it once in the fourth month but we were about to be going to Nashville to see my grandpa and I didn't want my hair to look so bad. The other thing was I knew there water was messed up and I wouldn't have a lot of time in the shower. So I gave up my homemade shampoo when and bought some that I liked and my hair took well to for the longest time.
Now once I'm back I was looking to go on a diet and I chose the paleo diet it's the only one that I believe would fit my lifestyle the best. However when I was on youtube I found a channel that the girl had gone paleo and I like her video so I looked at some other videos she had. Low and behold she had a no shampoo video. Come to find out I was doing it all wrong. She showed me that your suppose to add a cup of water for a table spoon of baking soda and and cup of water for the table spoon of vinegar. I'm so happy. I started my no shampoo journey again hoping for better results. I really love the way my hair acts when I use the homemade shampoo and conditioner. The only thing is last night after I washed my hair with the vinegary had brewed up some peppermint tea and I washed my hair in that. And once again my hair is soft and shiny and I love my hair again!
Here's a tip. If your wondering if your hair will smell like vinegar the answer is no. It shouldn't if you use too much vinegar it will however I've never had that problem. However your bath room may smell like vinegar for an hour. For me it's well worth it. That's my way of keeping my husband out of the bathroom while I finish getting ready for bed ;) I also try not to blow dry my hair because of the heat damage it can do to your hair but sometimes I still have too. I want to go get some dr bronners for my children I'm not quite sure my daughter or son would appreciate the process and they take bath now showers so I'm not how that would affect their bath or how bad it would hurt to get in their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment